Based on the number of questions and comments posted in our forums, turning off or restarting an iPhone with a broken power button (the top button) seems to be a common question and issue. So here is our quick-list of ways that you can restart your iPhone or turn off your iPhone if your power button is broken or not working.
Watch the video version of this page:
How to Restart an iPhone with no top power button (no jailbreak):
Any of these methods will resart your iPhone without using the Power Button on top
- On the iPhone tap SETTINGS, General, Reset, Reset All Network Settings (note that this will erase VPN and WiFi settings or passwords)
- Wait for the battery to drain
- Plug in your iPhone to your Mac/PC with iTunes and choose "restore" (not recommended but it does the job)
How to turn off an iPhone with no power button or a broken power button (no jailbreak):
- Enable Assistive Touch: Tap SETTINGS, General, Accessibility, AssistiveTouch (near the bottom) and tap AssistiveTouch to ON. You will now notice a small dark square with a circle in the middle (you can move this square anywhere). Tap the dark circle to open the assistiveTouch menu, then tap Device and tap and HOLD the Lock Screen icon. This will bring up the iPhone's Power-Off slider - no need for a power button any longer! **Voted Best Method to turn off an iPhone with a broken power button
How to turn off an iPhone without the power button (Jailbroken):
- Install SB Settings, "Shutdown", or "Lock" to power off the iPhone
- Enable Assistive Touch described above
How to turn on an iPhone with no top power button:
Now you've got your iPhone turned off, but if your power button is broken how do you turn it back on?
- Plug the iPhone into a power source such as your computer or iPhone wall-charger